The temperature drops, and you begin to crave warming dishes, such as stew and meat in soup. Raphaël Haumont gives you his tips for making the perfect beef bourguignon.
It has been written
Long weekends are always an opportunity to cook and cook your dishes for a few hours. But there are great ways to cook well and get enough flavor.
Tips to add to blanquettes, carbonades or even beef Stroganov.
Importance of animal selection
First you need to think about the choice of meat. Note that there are three main muscle groups:
– Filet, rump steak, flank steak: low in collagen, it cooks very quickly. For grilling or frying.
– Beach, necklace, walnut gite : rich in collagen, these pieces require gentle and long cooking. These are the braise pieces.
– Gite, tail, tendon, scoter, chuck: it is a gelatinous meat and very rich in collagen. They want to cook for a long time. Of course, these muscles are under a lot of pressure from meat, so they are elastic and firm. These are the pieces to be loved over the stew, they are cheap. This is not an oil product. They are very rich in collagen which is good for health.
Always brown meat
In order for the pieces to be decorated or covered, in both cases, the meat must be red, due to the famous Maillard method. It is very important, because it is what gives the flavor, the appearance of the meat on the surface, and then participates in the good flavors of the sauce.
– In the case of grilling, the meat should be brown and then boiled in a little water. Great in a casserole dish.
– In the case of lentils, you must cook very gently in a pan, and the meat is covered with water.
The pieces contain collagen and elastin. These are large, interconnected proteins that provide energy. Cooking will involve loosening these fibers, so that the meat becomes soft and melts in the mouth. For this reason, two actors are needed, heat and water. Water acts like scissors, and hydrolysis, “lyse” to cut, remove, release in Greek.
Beef bourguignon with or without marinade
Use only oil to sear the meat, then remove. In a clean casserole, put the meat, vegetables, wine and sauce.
Be careful, the wine must be boiled or heated. It’s really important to get rid of alcohol, because it tends to dry out the muscles. Instead, you want to separate them, so boiling wine and putting it together with meat is not the same as cooking wine and meat at the same time.
This recipe is served without marinade. Chemistry teaches that it is not very useful, because it is the cooking time for the meat to acquire flavor. The fiber breaks, which “leaves room” for fluid that can “enter” the meat by capillarity.
If you want to make a marinade, boil the wine first, and then let it cool before you put the pieces to wash.
You can put everything cold in the pan. In a very short cooking time, if you start to heat, you tend to reduce the meat quickly with protein coagulation, and “juice” can come out.
Aromatic flowers, salt, pepper, and let’s go for 1h30 or 2h. Keep it on a very low heat, preferably not a large boil that will cause everything to explode. Thus, you loosen the thread, but you keep the connection of the piece.
Remove the vegetables first or cook on the side
In two hours, the vegetables give all their flavors to the sauce. There is no need to serve them because they will be mushy and overcooked. So you can cook them on the side and then you can reheat them for a few minutes in the sauce.
After two hours of cooking, remove the pieces. Reserve the sauce and reduce the sauce.
You can add a little flour to create a texture and change the flavor. Then you will find pieces of melted meat, vegetables that have their own taste and texture, and well-diluted sauce.
It is a “real” medicine simmer, with very little fat, collagen, vegetables and fiber and still have their vitamins. A real healthy cold dish!
So you don’t miss out on health information, subscribe to our newsletter!